Friday, July 26, 2013

Thousands of New Neighbors



It looks like I won't have to move to Manhattan after all, since Manhattan is moving to me. Via 40 Going on 28, there is a link to CurbedSF's tracking of 40 huge construction projects currently arising in San Francisco, and 90% of them seem to be within walking distance of my apartment.



The former California Automobile Association headquarters at 100 Van Ness is being deconstructed inside and out to create apartments instead of offices with new interiors and a glass sheath exterior. The tricky job site is an ongoing public entertainment, rather like sculptural performance art on a grand scale.

4 comments:

Nancy Ewart said...

A number of the biggest apartment/condo buildings are right up the street from me. It's going to be interesting. I am glad that I don't drive.

sfphoneguy said...

Please don't flatter that monstrosity by calling it 'art'!

Civic Center said...

Dear sfphoneguy: I called it "performance art," which is a whole other kettle of something.

AphotoAday said...

I guess they wouldn't build or refurbish them if they didn't think they could get those $2400 to $3300 rents, as you reported the other day.