Friday, September 04, 2009

The Health of the Nation



Early Wednesday evening there was a demonstration in Civic Center that was part of a nationwide effort to hold rallies across the country demanding health care reform.



It really shouldn't matter if one is an arch conservative or a demonized liberal like the ACORN group above.



The health care system in the United States is so obviously screwed up that it ought to be one of the few issues on which everyone can agree.



The problem, of course, is the organized crime syndicates that run the health insurance industry in this country, and the fearmongering they have been fostering among people who are already paranoid.



Their administrative costs make up over 30% of the revenue paid out for health care, and not one penny of that money is going towards actually healing anyone. The fact that they own most of the legislators in this country just makes the situation even more depressing.



Jan Adams at "Happening Here" has a few practical suggestions for lobbying, and Matthew Hubbard at "Lotsa Splainin to Do" insists that it's important to keep the message simple and ubiquitous.



Personally, I'm feeling more like Princess Sparkle Pony, who just shut down his/her brilliant blog this week. The penultimate post was entitled, "I Used to be Amused, Now I'm Disgusted."

5 comments:

Matthew Hubbard said...

Please don't leave us, Mike. I'm just getting used to this permanent loss of people and things, and I've reached my quota for this year, thanks very much.

Civic Center said...

Dear Matty: I'm not going anywhere for a while.

Your driver said...

Thank you Mike. I feel so bad about Princess Sparkle Pony. Seriously.

Peteykins said...

Hey, Mike, those are kind words, but inaccurate. The "I used to be amused" post was the penultimate one, not the final one. The final post, where I realized that PSP was truly dead, was the top one, the one where I noted that Time Magazine had picked up the hairdo-reporting ball and run with it.

Civic Center said...

Dear Princess:

I'l correct it in the body copy. And you really do have no idea how devastated your reading public is at your retirement. Please visit personally if you are ever in San Francisco.