Thursday, June 04, 2009

SFMOMA Free Tuesday 2: Fifth Floor Feng Shui



The top, fifth floor of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art always creeped me out, not just because of the suspended foot bridge which terrifies my friend Patrick Vaz (click here), but because the place had such bad feng shui where it felt as if one was trapped and there was no way out.



You'd find yourself going by the Filipino security guard phalanx...



...walking by big modern art installations...



...that were all trying to grab attention in different ways.



None of that's changed much but there is finally a sense of freedom in the air because the back of the fifth floor gallery now leads to a new rooftop sculpture garden.



So looking at large Chinese conceptual photographs...



...or an Enrique Chagoya painting...



...doesn't feel quite so claustrophobic...



...because the great outdoors beckons.

1 comment:

Nancy Ewart said...

I'm with your friend Patrick - that damn bridge scares the hell out of me. I always have to take a deep breath and just walk across as fast as I can, focusing resolutely on the other side. Every time I do, I wonder what in the heck they were thinking? So many people have height phobias - didn't that ever occur to the architect?