Monday, September 24, 2007

The Prime of Mister Thad Trela



Early Saturday evening, my friend Thad Trela celebrated his 80th birthday...



...by hosting dinner at Home restaurant on Church and Market...



...for about 40 friends who consisted of ex-lovers...



...old acquaintances...



...folk dance partners...



...tennis playing buddies...



...along with former colleagues and students from Thad's days teaching at San Francisco State.



At the end of the evening, Thad gave a short speech, starting off with a quote from Maurice Chevalier on being asked what it felt like to be 80. "Well, if you consider the alternative..."



He then continued with one of the most moving testimonials I have ever heard. "Through all the missteps, and stupid mistakes, and wrong turns in my life, not to mention the worries about this and that, I never expected to reach this age and feel happier and more content than at any other moment in my life. Plus, I've actually found a partner late in life, Steven, which was completely unexpected. Each and every one of you helps to make my life so rich. Thank you."

2 comments:

Kit Stolz said...

It is so wonderful to hear of an eighty-year-old who is happy and content. Gives us all hope.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post made even better by the addition of those wonderful photographs.