Tuesday, April 22, 2008

SOMA Artist Studios: Nancy and Flora



In a huge warehouse near the corners of 5th and Bryant Streets, a warren of artist's studios were holding their Spring Open Studios this weekend.



I stopped by last Friday evening during the opening reception because one of the penpals I've made through this blog, "namastenancy," was one of the featured artists...



...and I thought it was time to meet her in the flesh.



Plus, I like her paintings, particularly the figurative ones of strangers in cafes.



Nancy also has a photoblog (click here), mostly dedicated to her own artwork, which is delightful.



There were hurried preparations going on for the masses of people who would be arriving for the opening reception, including lovely layouts of wine and goodies.



"I love it when people to come to look at our work," Nancy explained, "but we also have to deal with the professional moochers who couldn't give a damn about our art and who never seem to leave the food and wine tables."



She pointed out one of the more famous moochers, who was making his way through the hallways above.



On the other side of the warehouse, I ran into Flora Davis, above, who I worked with in a graphics department at Wells Fargo Bank thirty years ago. She was always one of the more gifted graphic artists I've known, but she decided to focus on her fine art and scrape by financially in that difficult field.



Over the years, she has migrated from painting to complex sculptural works to her current medium, folded sheet metal, which is quite wonderful. For more of her work, check out her website by clicking here.

1 comment:

Nancy Ewart said...

Thank you Mike! It was an utter delight to meet you in the flesh and I'm sorry that we didn't have more time to talk. I really enjoyed myself and hope to have more time with you to discuss the important things in life - politics, camera and whatever else comes into our minds. I LOVE the photos - mine, Flora's and one of our professional moochers.