Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tiger Woods



Possibly because I am a Gemini, over the last 35 years my longtime companions have alternated between kind, light, gentle souls and their complete opposites. This has been true both for human lovers and individual cats, and it's been a rare moment when the same personality types were living together with me at the same time.



So it's time for celebration, because I am finally living with two of the nice ones, pictured above.



Two weeks ago, seemingly out of nowhere, I blurted, "We need a cat," after a few years of living without one. "But you said a cat has to find us, not the other way around," Tony replied. "Whoops. I did say that, didn't I?" Two days later we were having dinner at The Blue Muse on Grove Street where Michelle the bartendress asked within minutes of our arrival, "Would you guys happen to be looking for a cat? One of the regulars here lives in Oakland and rescued a whole litter of feral kittens, and there's one left."



After a week's exchange of emails, Monte delivered the coolest orange tabby boy kitten I've ever met: friendly, happy and a purring machine.



We named him Monte after the modern-day St. Francis who had rescued him but the name didn't stick. It was while watching the final day of the PGA Championship golf tournament that we noticed the kitten would jump at the screen every time Tiger Woods was pictured, and he'd try to grab his golf ball from the TV.


So Tiger is the name, which is perfectly appropriate since he looks like one. If you're at all interested in cute cat videos, click here and here for some serious Tiger bonding.

14 comments:

Your driver said...

What a charmer. I am without a cat lately and I feel the absence. I've only had one cat who liked to watch and interact with the TV and she was the best and smartest cat I've ever had. Hell, she was one of the best and smartest people I've ever known.

zoo said...

i love tiger!! i also miss a kitty!! next one will be sophia's( or so i keep saying) :)

M. C- said...

Dashing!

maisnon said...

Made of adorable! I especially like the first one of Tiger (and Tiger) - where Mr. Woods is kneeling down to read the green. It looks like he is looking directly at Tiger.

Matthew Hubbard said...

Congratulations to the happy family. Three adorable creatures under one roof.

sfwillie said...

In the first photo--your beard and mustache are nicely trimmed.

Sarah said...

Aw so cute!

Pura Vida said...

So glad you found one another!

AphotoAday said...

Cute cat -- eventually it will find out it's in charge of everything...

janinsanfran said...

Gosh -- I go in for nice people and slightly nasty cats. She's howling in the background as I write this.

You're lucky ... Tiger looks to be a sweety.

Rachel said...

Too cute! Looks like you got the pick of the litter there...

LouisianaJones said...

Welcome home Tiger! You lucked into a very loving family.

Beth Spotswood said...

I love the label on this post.
Also, even my cold black heart loves that photo of Tony and Tiger.
You three are so cute!!!

momo said...

i'm happy for you!