Tuesday, January 26, 2021

MLK Ferry to Oakland

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was freakishly climate change warm last week, so I went to the shoreline at the Ferry Building. To my surprise, the Oakland/Alameda Ferry was running on a weekday work schedule rather than the holiday/weekend one. The ferry service has not been operating on weekends since the pandemic began.
Even though I was in shorts and a T-shirt without any layers, I impulsively jumped on for a round-trip boat ride through the Port of Oakland, Alameda, and Jack London Square before heading back to San Francisco.
It was an excellent boat ride in all respects.
Past the cranes at the western tip of the port, there is a park at water's edge which I had never noticed before. It's called Middle Harbor Shoreline Park, and you can drive down Seventh Street in Oakland to hang out there and watch the bay from the vantage point of a commercial port. Will report back once we've checked it out.

1 comment:

jimfrogs said...

I go to that park often to look for birds. It goes right under the Bay bridge. The bike trail runs right along the edge of the park.