Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Buddhist Christmas Birthday Card



My friend Heidi in Santa Barbara is a Christmas baby and has had to compete with baby Jesus for attention all her life...



...which may partially explain why she became a Tibetan Buddhist as a young adult.



Happy birthday, Miss Heidi, and hope you like your miscellany of San Francisco Asian Art Museum Buddhas.



On a darker note, I'd like to offer a lump of coal to both the Roman Catholic and Mormon churches this season.



They have notoriously harbored pedophiles and polygamists respectively for decades, and then have had the utter gall to moralize to the larger secular public about love and marriage.



That's not something Buddha would have done...



...nor Jesus either for that matter.

5 comments:

Markley Morris said...

What lovely sculptures and lovely photos, Mike. Thank you.

For some time I've been looking for a seasonal greeting I like. I'm uncomfortable with "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" seems like such a cop-out.

My friend Frank suggested "Peace and Joy" and that strikes me as perfect. So...

Peace and Joy, Mike, and a photolicious 2009.

Nancy Ewart said...

For all in whose heart dwells respect,
who follow the wisdom and compassion, of the Way,
May your life prosper in the four blessings
of old age, beauty, happiness and strength.



blessings be!

David Chadwick said...

Posted on cuke.com for Xmas.

Thanks.

Civic Center said...

Dear David: Glad to be of service over at www.cuke.com.

Pura Vida said...

Hi,
Did I tell you I love my birthday card? I am wishing you all the best in 2009 including lots of wonderful music, art, opera roles and more.
H.