Thursday, June 19, 2014

Os Gêmeos Mural at 6th & Market



Walking on Market Street between 7th and 5th Streets, I keep my eyes on the ground to avoid poop, and use peripheral vision to swerve around sidewalk drug deals and crazy people acting out in public. Late Tuesday afternoon, Mayor Ed Lee was conducting a walking tour of the Tenderloin and for the first time in my experience there were beat cops galore walking Market Street, which allowed me to look up, which is how I noticed a striking mural on the side of a building on the corner of 6th Street.



The mural was created by the identical twin Brazilian graffiti artists Os Gêmeos (born Otavio and Gustavo Pandolfo in 1974) who have become international art stars over the last couple of decades. The piece was commissioned by the Luggage Story Gallery which resides on an upper floor in the building. The mural went up last fall which tells you how long since I've looked skyward walking these streets.

2 comments:

Nancy Ewart said...

I ride the F line up and down Market almost every day so I've seen it numerous times but your's is the best photo ever.

janinsanfran said...

I walked that precinct by the Luggage Store a couple of weeks ago. (I have a dozen or so I haven't put up yet on my 596 Precincts site.) But someone I didn't catch that. Guess there was too much human activity at street level. Wow!