Tuesday, May 03, 2011

The Return of the Native



Sunday afternoon, people were getting ready for the arrival of an immigration rights march that had started in San Francisco's Mission District...



...with the usual suspects such as the A.N.S.W.E.R. (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism) coalition setting up booths around Civic Center Plaza.



Across the street was a small group of Tea Party activists...



...who were herded into crowd control enclosures in front of City Hall...



...which was presumably for their own safety...



...since they were waving around fairly offensive signage.



The history of California in the nineteenth century and into the twentieth is one of mass murder and land theft by white Americans from Native Indian tribes and Mexicans, which makes the anti-immigrant protestors' aura of moral superiority feel somewhat delusional, besides being unkind.



The Che girl above looked perfectly sane in comparison.

1 comment:

AphotoAday said...

I THINK I was born in this country, but I don't "really" know for sure... Actually, to show you how ignorant I am, I was over 21 years of age before I finally realized that I wasn't "Dutch", but rather "Deutch" -- a slightly different part of the continent. LOL, as they say...