Thursday, September 01, 2005

Blind Artists Reception



I wrote about a great art exhibit in the basement of City Hall last week featuring the work of blind and "visually impaired" artists. Click here to check out all the photos of the interesting art.



This evening there was an artists' reception being held by the San Francisco Art Commission and the Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired.



By 6:30, it was amazingly crowded and quite lively.



Though the speechifying had begun, and was its usual boring self, most of the crowd was ignoring the speakers and checking the art out along with each other.



There were also quite a few "Hosts" attached to the event, who were young and affluent looking.



I had no idea the event was going to be drawing in hipsters of all ages and genders.



Even this Charles Bukowski lookalike, who I'd met at a Mission Street art opening some months ago, was there. At the previous event, we took a Muni bus together after we'd smoked some marijuana and I listened to his very funny "dirty talk" about the strippers/hookers downtown on Geary Boulevard who he loved.



Most of the crowd, however, was much more proper and respectful.



The event also featured free Beaujolais wine...



...that was being liberally poured by a couple of beautiful young women.



They also fed the mob with fruit, treats...



...and even more substantial fare.



Of course, all this hospitality just encouraged people to socialize which prompted a chorus of "shhhhh!" moments from people who were actually listening to the boring speakers.



My friends Chris Okon and her Boyfriend Bill showed up because they had liked the photos on this blog.



Arriving late were a group of blind/visually impaired adolescents who were fascinating to watch.



This boy seemed to have the most sight left and was one of the leaders of the group.



There were also blind artists in attendance...



...some of them talking amongst themselves.



One artist's guide dog decided that he wanted the chair I was sitting in for his buddy, and he put his head right into my crotch.



Guide dogs, in fact, were everywhere, and though I'm not a big canine fan, it was wonderful to see them.



There's a reason that "Guide Dogs for the Blind" are some of the largest fundraisers in the country. What's not to love?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Non sono sicuro come ritengo circa la Winery wedding decoration ideas ma suona come una buona idea.Genuinely, Ariel Winery wedding decoration ideas

Anonymous said...

Just checking out blogs and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some of the ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam ( I DON'T ) but if you don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... I also have some of the most informative sites on yoga and baby gifts and baby showers. Hope you enjoy Thank you for your time.wedding rings

wedding rings

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm back to check your blog again and you just keep the great posts coming! Do you know of any great websites that sell baby shower. I've seen a few good ones but I think www.diapergifts.com make the best I have seen. You have got a great blog and I will be back to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Just out visiting other bridal accessory and gift sites to compare with my own.You can find my site at: http://www.weddingshowermall.comTake care!Jimbridal accessory and gift